Hello. I’m Thekla.
This is the story of how one unicorn-obsessed girl became a playful productivity expert, a children’s writer, and a busy creative mama.
It all started with my beloved unicorn, Henrietta. (Because stuffed animals inspire great heroines.) I often used to tell my sister Jennifer all about the amazing doings of the other unicorns Henrietta knew– usually after bedtime when we were supposed to be asleep.
Then, around the time of my ninth birthday, I found a dusty old copy of a book called The Magic of Thinking Big. I remember how I felt when I first read about setting audacious goals and making them happen: all fiery + exhilarated. So I decided to set a big goal of my own. I was going to write a book about the unicorns.
Eighty handwritten pencil pages and two years later, I had a completed manuscript. There were quests, magic spells, love affairs, betrayals, tragic deaths and convenient suspensions of the laws of physics. I still have that old spiral notebook to smile over. And I still have Henrietta too— floppy, shabby and very much Velveteen-Rabbit-Real.
These days, I’m writing a lot less about unicorns than I did at at age nine. But that’s only because I’m writing about space fairies + dragon pirates instead. I’m currently hard at work on several children’s writing projects.
I’m still fascinated by goals and making them happen, too. My other area of work is playful productivity: the art of making time + finding energy for more of the work that matters most… and setting up just-right-for-you tools + structures to support your goals.
I also have a very personal perspective on the struggles of my fellow busy parents. Having children honestly turned all my notions about productivity + time management upside-down, sideways and every other angle you could imagine– and I believe I emerged the wiser for it, if more sleep-deprived than I’d expected.
So that’s me… writing + coaching + parenting here in Seattle. With a ukulele often nearby, and always lots + lots of coffee. I hope you stick around + let me get to know you, too.
Wishing you joy,
Five things about me:
1. I listen to all kinds of music, but lately you can always find lots of upbeat Celtic music on my playlist. I’m all about Shooglenifty, Peatbog Faeries and Solas right now. (It might be different next month.)
2. I am in love with my ukulele… and not terribly good at playing it… and I don’t care a bit. The simple chords lift me up so I can sing from the heart.
3. I believe in laughing with my problems, whenever I possibly can. It doesn’t solve everything, but it can help– even when my jokes are dark, laughing opens me to possibility + perspective + paradox. It turns out that many things are at least a little lighter than I think. (Even the ones that are heavy indeed.)
4. My children are the delight of my heart… and they remind me of what truly matters most. Plus, they can always be counted on to keep things interesting!
5. My devotion to the coffee bean runs deep. I still haven’t gotten over the fact that I now have to switch to decaf at noon… the joys of getting older and having a toddler who is an early riser!